Who are we?

Austin, Texas, United States
TX Pie Spies travel around the Austin, TX area on a quest for delicious pie. Country charm is not required, but it doesn't hurt. We're two women on a mission. . .

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I'm a Pie-aholic

(also with pictures!)
I've had the following conversation with myself every day this week:
I want pie.
Not until you write about Threadgill's.
But Brad's out of town, and I'm bored!
Well, maybe after you do some housework you'll write that blog post and then you can have pie.
mmmm. . . the pie at (cutiepie wagon, monument cafe, etc.) sounds really good. I could drive there after work and have a sensible dinner. and then pie.
Not until you write about Threadgill's.

Vicious circle. So I'm writing this post about Threadgill's so I can have pie. Making a justification for pie. Abnormally craving pie. Going out of my way just so I can have pie.

Best. Addiction. Ever.



As a Southern Girl, I adore comfort food. Iced tea, fried chicken, and mashed potatoes are a few of my favorite things. So I love Threadgill's. I can't believe it took me three years to try it when I moved to Austin! I jumped at the opportunity to get the Groupon when it came out and used it really quickly. And with it? I got iced tea, chicken-fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and collard greens. And then PIE. 
Threadgill's Peanut Butter Pie
Mindy ordered the peanut butter pie. This was a very good, very pretty, peanutbuttery pie with a chocolate crust and chocolate chips. It had a fantastic silky texture and a slight crunch on the crust. Absolute bliss in the mouth right there. She didn't even want to wait for a picture before she dug right in. See how pretty? Even with the neon-tinged lighting, the pie looks fantastic - and it is. 

Threadgill's Buttermilk Pie
I chose the Buttermilk pie. I love rich buttermilk pie and everything it stands for. It brings to mind church potlucks, and sitting in some granny's kitchen eating warm buttermilk pie with coffee. Why? I don't know. As far as I can remember, my grandmother didn't make buttermilk pie. Neither did my mom.
This slice was beautiful and delicious, but no where close to what I remember as buttermilk pie. I'm told it can be served either cold or warm, but I just remember a fresh-from-the oven taste. This had a bit of a texture to it, cold, and similar to grits. It was still buttermilk pie: sweeter than sugar and richer than Bill Gates; and the crust was flaky and tender, but a little too thick for my taste. Maybe I was even too cranky that evening for Pie to fix it. Oh well. The manager had to help us redeem our Groupon, and she told me that she'd worked there 20 years and buttermilk pie was still her favorite thing on the menu. I was polite and thanked her for her help. What can I say? I may be full of grumblecakes, but I'm not about to complain about a perfectly decent piece of pie.
My belly was full of good Southern cooking and I did eat most of my pie, so clearly it was good. Maybe my reluctance to write this post was due to my surprise at not having a religious experience with the pie. Maybe my upbringing was coming out: If I don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Maybe, and this is the biggest maybe of all, maybe I have never had buttermilk pie before. Maybe I just love the sound of buttermilk pie - or even just the idea of buttermilk pie. It wouldn't be the first time I'd was in love with an idea instead of the real thing.


At least now I can go and have more pie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment